19 August 2014 | Mizzima |Htin Lynn Aung
The Dawei Special Economic Zone management committee has invited two companies to submit closed tenders aimed at restarting the troubled project, its chairman told Mizzima on August 18.
U Han Sein said Italian-Thai Development and a Japanese company had been invited to tender for seven SEZ projects at an expected total cost of US$8 billion (about K7.79 trillion) to restart operations at the site in October.
The management committee would also welcome a joint proposal from the two companies, said U Han Sein, who is also the Deputy Minister for Railways.
The seven projects planned for the initial phase of the SEZ are a harbour, power plant, water supply, telecommunications, industrial, commercial and residential zones and road network.
The governments of Myanmar and Thailand signed an agreement to launch the project in May 2008 but it has been delayed by a series of challenges, including financing.